Friday, October 26, 2007

Guys and Umbrellas

My hometown of Greensboro, NC has been in a severe drought like much of the country but we have been fortunate to get a nice steady rain for the last three days. As I exited the parking deck this morning and was headed to work I noticed mobs of guys not using umbrellas. Is there an unwritten rule that guys can’t use an umbrella? I simply do not understand the concept of wearing nice clothes and getting them soaking wet. If you aren’t going to use an umbrella at least get yourself a decent overcoat.

1 comment:

emfink said...

I can't speak for men in GSO, having only lived here for a short time. In other cites where I've lived (NY, Chicago, SF, London) men routinely carry umbrellas in the rain. My hunch is that the guys you saw -- like me (I also went 'brellaless last week) -- have just gotten so accustomed to the lack of rain that they plum forgot all about umbrellas.