Thursday, November 1, 2007

My New Part Time Job

I like to shop. No. I like to shop a lot and it's something I've not been able to do much of lately due to the lack of funds. Along with paying bills I also have an additional fund (high priority for me) that I put money into each month (or try to) and there is typically not much left over for me to shop. In order to fix this I've taken a job with a retailer in my hometown of Greensboro, NC. This is a major chain and they have clothes that are appropriate for both business and casual dress. So in addition to making a little extra money I am also getting a nice discount (30 – 50%) on the clothing that I buy from this store.

Last night was my first night as a “sales associate” and I actually enjoyed the experience. I love to talk to people and this pt job will allow me to do just that. It will also allow me to hopefully prevent a few fashion nightmares here and there. I already knew this but last nights experience really confirmed my thought that women do not know how to wear pants. Well, that isn’t completely true. The younger demo (18 – 30) understands what works and what doesn’t work for their body… but a lot of women over 30 are clueless. If your ass looks bad in them, don’t buy them! So many people fall into the trap of purchasing jeans from the store that they frequent the most because they feel brand loyal and that is a huge mistake. There are tons of jeans made by various companies that I like… but I know there are really only two brands that work for me and that is what I stick with.

Is it hard for a successful “business person” to suck it up and accept that taking a pt job is necessary? Absolutely. I have wrestled with the idea for several months and it was a very tough decision, mainly because I knew it was going to take away from the time that L and I get to spend together. It’s funny how people react when they find out I have taken a pt job. They look completely shocked and for a moment there is this funny look on there face and you can tell they are not quite sure how to react but I just roll with it.

Last but not least, there is something nice about working with a customer that is trying to make a clothing purchase but they just can’t make a decision. You have been in that situation right? You have an item and you just can’t figure out if it works for you or if the color works with your skin tone. I tend to tell people what I really think (politely) even if it means they don’t purchase an item… and I think that goes a long way with customers. Don’t you hate the people that only try to get you to purchase something so they can meet a quota?

Remember the “ass rule” ladies.

No comments: