Monday, November 5, 2007

Magazines Try To Make You Feel Poor

I was recently flipping through a bunch of mens/womens/fashion magazines (research for work) and couldn’t help but notice the great fashion advice the magazines give. Along with fashion advice they show off tons of great clothing, most of which the average person couldn’t dream of affording. Why do they do this? Is the goal to make you feel poor? The article that I read last night that prompted this post showed off a white button down that cost $600. Yes, $600 bucks! They then covered it up with a sweater that cost an additional $400! I won’t even tell you how much the suit costs that went with the outfit. Now back to the white button down. Why in the world would anyone pay that much? If you do, you should stop and realize that your white button down is not what people are noticing about your outfit.

Yesterday I purchased a white button down from TJ Max for $12.99 (reg price $39) and I guarantee you that if I had a suit on, you wouldn’t be able to tell a difference in my shirt and the $600. Females are much better at pulling off discount clothing than men (more options) but it is a practice that will save you a lot of money on essential items.

No comments: